The present Heritage Centre is on the site of 2 earlier establishments. Originally the “New Inn” in 1868 the site became “The Royal Oxford Music Hall”. The following year the building, which is situated a few doors down from the court house, became The Criterion public house, with a music hall called ‘The Palace of Varieties’ situated immediately to its rear. This offered “rational amusement for all classes” including in April 1876, a one armed juggler!
Open: Refer to website for details.
- Telephone: 01795 662981
- Website: www.thecriterionbluetown.co.uk
- Facebook: BlueTownHeritage
- Twitter: @Blue_Town_ & @
KCU Learning destination
- Wheels of Time Visit – 2h *
- Activity Trail – 1h
* includes Activity Trail
69 High Street, Blue Town, Sheerness-on-Sea, Kent, ME12 1RW