Fort Amherst is a fantastic site for children and with over 300 years of fascinating history to explore, especially through the network of underground tunnels! Children can see and experience how the Fort was used as an Air Raid Precautions station during the Second World War and understand how soldiers lived and worked here during the Napoleonic era.
There are many events throughout the year aimed at children including fun children’s tours.
For even more to do, there is over 20 acres of beautiful parkland and a brilliant play area on site next to the Fort Cafe.
- Opening times:
- 23rd September to 18th November 2019 – No Tunnel Tours
- Summer (April to September):
- Fort Amherst: 8.00am until 4.00pm
- Café and Visitor Centre: 8.00am until 4.00pm
- Tunnel Tours: daily tours at 11.00am and 2.00pm
- Winter (October to March):
- Fort Amherst: 8.00am until 2.00pm
- Café and Visitor Centre: 8.00am until 2.00pm
- Tunnel Tours: daily tour at 11.00am
- KCU Learning destination
- Wheels of Time Visit – 2h
Dock Road, Chatham, ME4 4UB