Wheels of Time is a badge collecting scheme encouraging the exploration of 33 Kent heritage sites for 5-11 year olds.
Join Roamin’ Rex, our time travelling character, as he discovers Kent’s fantastic museums and heritage sites.
Roamin’ Rex is on a mission to learn about Kent by following his trusty Wheels of Time map to different places. Why don’t you join him, and pick up each one of the 33 exclusive badges along the way?!
Children aged 5-11 visiting any of 33 Wheels of Time venues will be given a different badge at each site, showing the site’s logo or related picture. A map featuring the Wheels of Time mascot, ‘Roamin Rex’, guides children to all of the sites. Children can ask for a lanyard, to display their collection, when they visit their second site.
Children who have collected 10 badges will be awarded Roamin’ Rex’s ‘Bronze Award Badge’, those that have 20 badges will receive a ‘Silver Award Badge’ and those that collect all 33 badges a special 2018 Wheels of Time Award Badge.
With comments from parents such as
- “We have all learnt so much and explored places we didn’t know existed” and
- “This is a really great initiative for Kent – we are really enjoying it!”
the Scheme is very effective at encouraging children and their families to discover museums and heritage sites in Kent.
Roamin Rex’s map, showing all of the participating sites, can be collected from any of the sites, some Tourist Information Centres or downloaded from the Wheels of Time website, http://wheelsoftime.uk.
Check opening dates and times for individual sites on http://wheelsoftime.uk
Wheels of Time is recognised as a Kent Children’s University Learning Activity, and many of the sites can give Learning Credits to children registered with Children’s University.
Badges are FREE. Normal entry fees to each museum or heritage site apply – check on http://wheelsoftime.uk/ Some sites are free to enter but rely on donations from visitors; please give generously.
Notes for editors
Wheels of Time is a partnership of the participating museums and heritage site developed to encourage children and their families to explore heritage sites in Kent. wheelsoftime.uk
The member sites for 2018 are:
- Agricultural Museum, Brook
- Ashford Museum
- Tenterden & District Museum
- Willesborough Windmill
- Woodchurch Village Life Museum
- Seaside Museum, Herne Bay
- RAF Manston Spitfire and Hurricane Memorial Museum
- Crabble Corn Mill, Dover
- Deal Maritime & Local History Museum
- Dover Transport Museum
- The Timeball Tower, Deal
- Hythe Local History Museum
- Romney Marsh Wartime Collection
- Maidstone Museum
- Guildhall Museum, Rochester
- Huguenot Museum, Rochester
- Royal Engineers Museum, Chatham
- Chiddingstone Castle
- Sevenoaks Museum
- Eden Valley Museum
- Union Windmill, Cranbrook
- Cranbrook Museum
- Eastchurch Aviation Museum
- Blue Town Heritage Centre, Sheppey
- Minster Abbey Gatehouse Museum
- Queenborough Guildhall Museum
- Rose Street Cottage of Curiosities
- Fleur de Lis Museum and Gallery
- Heritage Hub, Sittingbourne
- Milton Regis Court Hall
- The Old Forge Wartime House
- Sittingbourne & Kemsley Light Railway
- Sittingbourne Heritage Museum
The Scheme is funded from
- A KCC member’s grant from Councillor Sue Gent (KCC, Sittingbourne North Division)
- Arts Council for England (ACE) funding received from the South East Museums Development Programme,
- Swale Borough Council
- local company Brett Group and
- provision of lanyards by Maidstone Museum, from the ACE Museums and Schools funding to support the other museums in extending their offer.
The South East Museums Development Programme (SEMDP) is led by a Consortium consisting of Royal Pavilion & Museums, Brighton and Hove (the lead partner), the Hampshire Cultural Trust, the Oxfordshire County Museums Service, and Chatham Historic Dockyard Trust. It was formed in 2012 to manage the Arts Council England museum development funding in the South East. www.southeastmuseums.org
Brett is a local, established construction and building materials group – with headquarters in Canterbury we are proud to have been a part of the Kent community for over 110 years www.brett.co.uk.
Roamin’ Rex: our time travelling guide to Kent’s fantastic museums and heritage sites,
“Wheels of Time®”, “Roamin’ Rex” and the Roamin’ Rex logo are trademarks of Ashford Borough Museum Society