The Royal Saxon Abbey and Gatehouse stand on the hilltop at Minster in Sheppey. The widowed Queen Sexbuga of Kent established a Benedictine convent there in 664AD. The Sheppey Timeline painted by the artist in residence in 2014, shows the chequered history of the island and leads up the 12th century stairway to the roof, from which the visitor can see magnificent views. The museum houses three medieval fireplaces, a collection of fossils, pilgrim crosses, local archaeology, maritime history, paintings by the artist Harold Batzer, costumes, kitchen items, local newspapers dating from 1860 and many more items of interest.
- Opening times:
- All bank holiday weekends: Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Good Friday
- Every Saturday from 1st May to 25th September.
- Every Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday in July and August
2pm to 4.30pm
- Cost:. Adults £2.00, Concessions £1.50, Children £1.00, Family Ticket up to 3 children £5.00
- Telephone: 01795 875111
- Website: www.minstergatehouse.co.uk
Next to Minster Abbey, Union Road, Minster on Sea, Isle of Sheppey, ME12 2HW